Parrish, FL Homes for Sale. Originally, the community was founded by William Iredell Turner who owned a plantation in the area prior to the Civil War. Soon afterwards, a small community was formed around the plantation.
The community was named for Crawford Parrish of Georgia along with his wife Mary Bratcher Vanzant. Shortly after he married her in 1841, Crawford moved south to the Florida on the banks of the Suwanee River having slave labor on his plantation. In 1867, they sold their land and decided to move to present day Parrish which was, at the time referred to as Oak Hill. Crowford was a rancher along with being an orange farmer as well. A post office was established in 1879 changing the name to Parish which remained in place until 1950 before finally being changed to Parrish.